The expanded efficiency of the WMS system has extended the functions to include transportation management, light manufacturing, accounting systems and order management. All these additional functions can also be performed in external applications, which the warehouse management solutions can sync and share the data with. Even though these solutions keep on gaining additional functionality, the main purpose of the WMS system remains intact. The cores of every WMS are directed packing, replacement and put away. Both the thorough setup and processing within any WMS use a great combination of item quantity, location, description, order information and unit of measure to decide where to pick, where to stock and in which series to perform the operations.
Things you should address while making a warehouse management system?
While putting together the suitable and effective warehouse management solutions, there are a number of key questions to answer:
- What kind of inventory you are planning to track? Cases, individual items or palates?
- Will you have to track lot, batch or serial numbers?
- Do you already have a wireless network in your place?
- Is your inventory already labeled? Will you have to create your own part numbers or sku?
- How many users you will have?
- What kind of reporting you will require from the system?
- Will the inventory database require to sync with other software system?
What are the main components of a warehouse management system?
The effective warehouse management solutions contain 5 major components:
- Mobile computer: The mobile computers of the warehouse management solutions offer the information and tools that any warehouse worker would need on the fly for each task on which they work.
- WMS software: The functions, which are available and the general process flow are decided by the management software. Numerous applications are modular as well as can easily be expanded with some added functions like wave picking, real-time transactions and integration to the ERP system.
- Wireless infrastructure: A number of businesses require system updates to take place in real time, and a wireless network does this. Irrespective of the size of facility, a network is scaled to accommodate both your as well as your bandwidth requirements.
- Barcode scanner: Not all the functions in the warehouse may require mobile devices but would still need scanning. The scanners provide a complete range of durability, cordless operation and long range or 2D scanning to fit to your particular needs.
To learn more about this topic, you can pay a visit to www.provisionwms.com.
This article is published on http://www.heavenhomes.org/